BY: JULIA SALKIN
Every now and then a musical comes along that reminds you why you love musicals in the first place: a solid story, characters you care about, and songs you love. Rock of Ages is one such musical. And now, that five-time Tony Award-nominated musical is back to celebrate its 10th anniversary at New World Stages — and you can add it to any Broadway Roulette spin! Whether you saw the original on Broadway, or missed it the first time around, there are plenty of reasons to catch this rock ‘n’ roll romance during this limited run.
3 Reasons to See Rock of Ages if You Saw it on Broadway
1. Mitchell Jarvis. He’s reason number one. Jarvis, who played Lonny in the original Broadway show, will be reprising his role in the 10th anniversary production. Like a fine wine, he’s only gotten better with time and seeing him in a more intimate setting is worth it on its own. Jarvis is set to star alongside CJ Eldred (Desperate Measures) as Drew, Kirsten Scott (Jersey Boys) as Sherrie, PJ Griffith (American Idiot) as Stacee Jaxx, Matt Ban (Spamalot) as Dennis, Dane Biren (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) as Franz, Tiffany Engen as Regina, Tom Galantich as Hertz, Jeannette Bayardelle (The Color Purple) as Justice/Mother, and Katie Webber (Wicked) reprising her turn as Waitress #1. Ashley En-Fu Matthews, Leah Reed, Michael Mahany, Mekhai Lee, Kevin Michael Raponey, Justin Colombo and Autumn Guzzardi complete the incredibly talented ensemble.
2. This production kept the best of the original Broadway show. The revival will feature the work of the original director Kristin Hanggi and choreographer Kelly Devine! You can also catch the production’s original scenic design by Beowulf Boritt, costume design by Gregory Gale, sound design of Peter Hylenski, lighting design by Jason Lyons, and projection design by Zachary Borovay.
3. Live theatre is, well, live — so you never actually see the exact same thing twice. Broadway is dynamic, and you can rest assured that a show as thrilling as this one will always surprise you with something brand new and exciting!
3 Reasons to See Rock of Ages for the First Time
1. You don’t have to know any of the music in order to know the music. The iconic score features rock ‘n’ roll hits including Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,” Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive,” Foreigner’s “I Wanna Know What Love Is”, Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again,” and tons more. These are songs you’re already familiar with — you don’t need to own the Original Cast Recording to sing along and enjoy
2. You’ll be in good company. The original production of Rock of Ages holds a spot as one of the top 30 longest-running Broadway shows of all time, running for a monumental six years! Not only was Rock of Ages a hit on Broadway, but it has also wowed audiences across the globe.
3. It’s better than the movie (really). Many of you may know and love the 2012 motion picture starring Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Catherine Zeta Jones, Bryan Cranston, and more. Now is your chance to catch the story live on stage, starring original Broadway cast member Mitchell Jarvis as Lonny (portrayed by Russell Brand in the film adaptation) alongside a killer cast of Broadway stars. We love a celebrity-studded film version of a Broadway musical as much as the next girl, but there’s something special about seeing the talent on stage, in person, in New York, that just can’t be beat.
You can include Rock of Ages in your next Broadway Roulette spin (and gain another show elimination!) by selecting “Musicals, Plays, and Other Broadway Favorites” as your preference.